News Media and How to Deceive/Trust

>"sensationalize" stories (for the purpose of sales) only
>to the extent that the public finds these stories believable.

Some 12-15 years ago there was a low-level spill of radioactive
water outside one of the Ringhals NPP:s in SW Sweden. I don't
know the level but it was close to something you could consider
insignificant in terms of possible extra doses. A local journalist
(For Swedes: Hallands Nyheter or Hallandsposten) called a friend
of mine who works at Ringhals NPP and interviewed him about the
spill. Next day the local people saw a large photo with one of
these guys with "astronaut-like" outfits. That picture had been
taken several years earlier during an emergency training course
and had nothing to do with the spill of water.
My friend told the journalist something like "if you ever want
to know anything about our business again - don't call me".
I must say that I understand my friend's reaction, although I
also understand the need for not shutting the door.

bjorn_cedervall@hotmail.com