Re: Containment High Range Area Monitors

At a BWR (This may also be true for a PWR, but I don't know.)  the
Containment
High Range Radiation Monitors ("CHARMS") are NOT for an operating reactor.
Their sole use is for estimating the potential release during an accident in
which the reactor is shut down.  They primarily measure the noble gas and
iodine concentration in the primary containment, although they can't
differentiate.  Using an expected source term, which predicts the noble gas
iodine ratio, decaying for time after shutdown, and then assuming the design
basis leakage rate from primary containment, the potential off site doses
can
be calculated IF there were to be a release.  At Fermi 2, we've modeled 3
source terms:  (1) coolant - no fuel damage, (2) gap - minor fuel damage
allowing the release of the "gap" activity, and (3) core - major fuel
damage.
The choice of model is based on dose rates and knowledge of the state of the
core, eg., has the reactor water level dropped below the top of active fuel?

This gives the emergency response personnel the ability to evaluate the
potential impact of the accident in its early stages and recommend timely
protective actions to local authorities.

Thus, the CHARMS have no set points.  By the time you use them, you are past
worrying about tech specs.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

You wrote:

Is there any one out there in RADSAFE area who have experiences in
calculating alarm set point
for radiation monitoring systems in nuclear power plants.

I am intersted in calculation of alram setpoint for "containment high range
area monitors"
which I think were forced to be installed for monitoring any accident
conditions in containment
after TMI accident as one of the action items
In general they are able to measure gamma dose rate upto 10E6 R/h.
If dose rate reaches the alarm setpoint value, it gives containment purge
and exhaust isolation signal.
So it is pretty important to determine the setpoint value in terms of the
safety operation and public safety.

I am thinking of several criteria which can be applied to setting the alram
value.

  1) 10CFR 20 limit
     I am afraid that this could gives too low value.
     Do you think this would be appropriate in terms of its high detection
range?
  2) 10CFR100 limit

Setpoint values for purge isolation signal are described in technical
specifications
(Engineered Safety Feature Actuation System) in a final safety analysis
report.
I wonder if there are NRC's position papers or guidelines published for
utilities.

I would appreciate sharing your experiences and knowledge.

Please repond to me directly.

Thank you

Sung-Jun Maeng
Korea Electric Power Research Institute