Re: Nuclear Carrier Arrives In SD

RADSAFERS

	As I read this email, I was/am currently listing to a local (San Diego) PBS station (KPBS) and they are having a discussion with various anti-nuclear groups and local residents regarding the John C. Stennis arriving in San Diego.  One of the moderators is a local congressman who, it appears cannot even spell "radiation" and the discussion group includes the Captain of the carrier himself.

	Its been quite entertaining...for instance did any of you know that the Chernobyl accident was caused by a spilled cup of coffee - do tell... "and you know", said the caller, "the same thing could happen here in San Diego".

	Oh well, we do live in country where everyone is allowed his/her own opinion (most of the time).

	Joel Baumbaugh

..

At 09:47 AM 8/26/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Anyone have a spare monitoring system they are interested in
>selling to the city of Coronado!!!!!!
>
>Nuclear Carrier Arrives In SD - (SAN DIEGO) -- It's an historic day
>in San Diego as the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier
>John -C- Stennis arrives in the harbor for the first time. With it, the
>``Stennis'' is bringing about three-thousand sailors and an
>annual payroll of about 126-Million dollars. Environmentalists say
>the ship also is bringing the added danger of nuclear
>exposure to area residents. The 97-thousand ton ship is powered
>by twin- nuclear reactors. The city of Coronado is looking
>into cost- effective systems to monitor radiation.
>
>------------------
>Sandy Perle
>Technical Director
>ICN Dosimetry Division
>ICN Plaza
>3300 Hyland Avenue
>Costa Mesa, CA 92626
>Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
>Fax:    (714) 668-3149
>
>sandyfl@earthlink.net
>sperle@icnpharm.com
>
>ICN Dosimetry Website:
>http://www.dosimetry.com
>
>Personal Website:
>http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205
>
>"The object of opening the mind, as of opening
>the mouth, is to close it again on something solid"
>              - G. K. Chesterton -
>
>The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer

Joel T. Baumbaugh, MPH, MHP
baumbaug@nosc.mil
Radiation Safety Officer
SSC San Diego, CA

	NOTE:	The contents of this message have not been reviewed, nor approved by the Federal Government, the U.S. Navy, my bosses or my wife...

	Thought of the day...