RE: USA licensing regs

David,
   NRC regulates Source, Byproduct and Special Nuclear Material,
NRC allows Agreement states to run their own rad program.
Most agreement states and many non-agreement states have rad protection
programs that do regulate NARM, as well as x-ray machines.
OSHA pretty much copied NRC's 10 CFR 20 and applies it to all rad materials,
though  the only action and enforcement I have seen is in non-NRC regulated
arenas.
Some local governments also have ordinances  involving radioactive
materials, I have heard that some have even declared themselves "Nuclear
Free".
As you can see, you sometimes end up with a large number of interested
regulators.
Sorry, its starting to sound like " Who's on First?"

Luke McCormick, RPSO
HQ USAREUR & 7A
ODCSPER Safety Division
Unit 29351