RE: Dosimeters for high altitudes

We have been supplying both active and passive dosimetry to U-2 and other high
altitude pilots for the USAF for several years.  All of our dosimeters are
custom built and not commercially available.

We use a small tissue equivalent proportional counter (TEPC) for the active
dosimeter which is actually mounted in the cockpit, and a combination track etch
(TED) and TLD for the passive dosimeter.

Calibration is a problem.  We use bare Cf-252 for the neutron dosimeter, which
is not totally correct, but close enough to within 20% of the expected dose
equivalent.  There are other sources which we could use, but it is our feeling
at the moment that the cost is not worth the effort.

John A Leonowich
Battelle Pacific NW Laboratory