RE: Respect

When I joined RADSAFE as a senior studying for a B.S. in
Health Physics, I was not told that you had to be "experienced"
in order to post to this forum.  I admit that I originally joined to
look for job postings, but once I joined, I found that I was learning
a lot of information that I had not heard about in lectures and textbooks.
I find the knowledge that people have on RADSAFE very useful and it
is great to know that there are other people out there that you can ask
a quick question (or an in-depth one).

 I think that Melissa intended this to be a place where Health Physicists
and other professionals interested in the field could talk about topics
relating to this common interest.  However, in the year that I have been
on the list, the condescending replies that some people have given have
really intimidated me.  I think this is very unfortunate.  This is a very valuable
resource and I feel that people of all backgrounds and experience should feel
comfortable using it.  Maybe I missed the rule that you had to be a "certified
health physicist with 10 years experience" to join RADSAFE or ask a simple
question.  Being a "brand new" graduate and "brand new" HP, there have been many
times that I have been too intimidated to ask a question for fear that I overlooked
something simple and I would be humiliated by someone with a big ego.  I hope
that eventually this will become more relaxed and people will feel comfortable asking
any type of question (related to the nuclear field, of course).

Erin Lambert
Health Physicist
Radiological & Environmental
   Management