Re: GM Response (formerly Respect)

	RADSAFERS

	I just checked my Ludlum-3 with a Pancake

	I get a "smidgen" (a scientific term if I ever hear one) under 6% efficiency with a C-14 check source and I get about 8% with S-35.

	As a caveat - One can get surprisingly good efficiency (close to 50%) with high energy betas (e.g. P-32 and/or Sr-90) if you are on a hard flat surface because the betas actually bounce back from the surface into the detector (enhancing the response).  This would not be the case with a check source which would contain the P-32 (you only get about 35% eff.) but with a contaminated surface like a lab-bench top which could/would/will interact with the surface you get more "bang for your buck"...

	I did detect bremstrahlung from a new tritium sign containing 25 Curies of tritium once.  I was impressed!

	Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil
	SSC-SD

At 08:56 AM 9/4/98 -0500, you wrote:
>My sources indicate that C-14 has an Emax of 0.156 MeV and
>Eavg of 0.049 MeV  compared to S-35 with an Emax of 0.167 MeV
>and Eavg of 0.048 MeV.  So, can anyone answer why a Ludlum
>Model 3 with a pancake probe (or any other ratemeter with a
>pancake probe) would be "good" for C-14 but not S-35?  I would
>think that an instrument that measures C-14 at 5 - 12% efficiency
>would measure S-35 as similar efficiency.
>
>BTW, a year or so ago, Wes Dunn posted a table of typical
>efficiencies of GM detectors for various isotopes.  It might be worth
>checking the RADSAFE Archives for this info.
>

>Kent Lambert
>lambert@auhs.edu
>
>Peter Skeels wrote:
>
>A Ludlum Model 3 with a pancake probe is a decent instrument for
>medium to high energy betas.  It has an average efficiency of 5%
>for C-14 and 15 to 20% for P-32 and Si-32.  S-35 is only detectable
>in large   quantities, so I wouldn't use it for self surveys after jobs.
>

>lambert@auhs.edu

Joel T. Baumbaugh, MPH, MHP
baumbaug@nosc.mil
Radiation Safety Officer
SSC San Diego, CA

	NOTE:	The contents of this message have not been reviewed, nor approved by the Federal Government, the U.S. Navy, my bosses or my wife...

	Thought of the day...