Re: digital dosimetry

>I am looking for a stand alone RELIABLE digital dosimeter. I have some
>Eberline Digidoses but they seem to have a large instrument failure rate.
>Could anyone recommend a make and model?

Personally - I would look at the detector type.  I consider the GM type to
be more robust and reliable than the diode type - bigger signal - much
simpler electronics.

So far we have had good luck with the SAIC units - but have only had those
for about 1 year.

We have also used a one or two Siemens - diode type - because they
seemed to respond best to high intensity, low frequency, pulsed radiation.
They are heavily built and well armored and didn't give us much trouble.

With the diode type you need to worry about rf interference - like from
cell phones.  Some mfgr's shield for this - but the shielding ups the low
energy sensitivity threshold.

Ted de Castro
tdc@ehssun.lbl.gov
University of California Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
Bldg 75B Rm 112A
Berkeley, CA 94720
(510) 486-5256
(510) 486-7207 - FAX

The preceeding message was NOT reviewed by my employer and therefore
represents MY OPINION ONLY and does not in any way represent the policies
or opinions of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) or the
U.S. Department of Energy.