Cost-Benefit Analyses -Reply

Scott,

Re: your question about public person-rem values.... you might
find the HPS '93 position statement on "Radiation Dose Limits for
the General Public" interesting.  It recommends a value of $40 per
person-rem avoided (max $200) while noting that the ICRP (1983)
uses a value of $100-$200 ("per rem"??).

On the first read, these numbers appear to be low.  If I have
misinterpreted, would someone please set me straight?

A few years back, Brookhaven put out some software called RADS
(Radiation Assessment and Design System).  It included a module
on cost-benefit analyses that include both quantitative and
qualitative factors.  The qualitative factors are assigned weighting
factors that are established (ideally) by an organization's ALARA
committee, perhaps in concert with a stakeholder group if the
operation involves public exposures.  'Pretty neat product.

Thanks!
v/r
Michael