Japan Nuclear Program Recovers

Wednesday September 9 4:40 PM EDT

TOKYO (AP) - The new president of Japan's state-run nuclear
power company said Wednesday the company has reformed
itself and will regain the public's trust following a series of
accidents and cover-ups.

The Power Reactor and Nuclear Fuel Development Corporation
launched a restructuring program last year and the new company
will open Oct. 1 as the Japan Nuclear Cycle Development Institute.

``Our major obligation is to regain the public trust as soon as
possible and the new organization will attach top priority on the
guarantee of safety,'' the company's new president, Yasumasa
Togo, told reporters.

Japan's faith in nuclear power was shaken after plant officials tried
to cover up damage from a fire at a nuclear reprocessing
facility in March 1997 that exposed 37 workers to low-level
radiation.

Nuclear energy opponents used the incident to press their claim
that the nation's atomic power program lacks accountability and
ignores serious safety hazards.

Togo, who was named company president in July, has promised to
open the new company's operations to greater public scrutiny.

``We believe that openness in exchanging information is the very
basis of the survival of our organization,'' he said.

In a ruling Wednesday, a regional high court in central Japan
dismissed a case filed to stop operations at a nuclear plant located
on the Sea of Japan coast, which is run by one of the country's
nine electric power firms, Keizo Yamada, president of Hokuriku
Electric Power Co., said in a statement.

The Nagoya High Court upheld a lower court's 1994 decision that
the plant posed no safety threat even in the event of a major
earthquake, as claimed by the citizen's group that brought the
case.

Togo said a long restructuring process that began in April 1997 has
resulted in a trimmer, more efficient and more responsible
company.

The first major stain on the company's reputation came in 1995
when officials were forced to admit they concealed the severity of
a liquid sodium leak at the prototype Monju reactor in western
Japan.

Togo also said the new company will intensify research into
effective ways to dispose of nuclear waste, which has been a
source of deep controversy in Japan.

Japan currently has 51 commercial nuclear power plants, supplying
about one-third of the nation's electricity, according to
government figures.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
ICN Plaza
3300 Hyland Avenue
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

ICN Dosimetry Website:
http://www.dosimetry.com

Personal Website:

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer