Re: Landauer's New Badge

jrflood wrote:

> >Regarding the new Landauer TLD discussion,

> Aluminum oxide is an excellent environmental dosimeter because it yields so
> much light per mrem when processed. This imposes a limitation, too,
> however - the higher light output per mrem also means that the
> photomultiplier tube that counts the light output will reach its performance
> limitations (deadtime, tube shock, etc) at a correspondingly lower dose. So,
> switching to a dosimeter that can provide a reporting threshold that is an
> order of magnitude smaller will also bring with it an order of magnitude
> smaller upper limit for performance, which means it may not be able to
> provide adequate measurments in case of an accidental exposure. Everyone
> hopes and even expects that won't happen to them but, should one give away
> the ability to measure a potentially life-threatening dose in an accident
> situation to obtain an improved precision at low doses, even though the
> improved precision isn't particularly useful?
>
> What type of numbers are involved with this statement, for example what are
> some upper level limits that would

    not be  seen in an accident type situation - according to Landauer their
technical specifications are 1 mrem to 1000 rem for    photons, 10 mrem to 1000
rem for beta, and 20 mrem to 25 rem for neutron - are these  unreasonable or not
adequate in
    some way ?

    we are seriously considering the new technology.

    thanks,

    steve hand
    university of maryland
    radiation safety