From:     Michael S Ford <MFORD@pantex.com> at INTERNET
Sent:     Wednesday, September 16, 1998 12:25 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu> at INTERNET
Subject:     Radon in the News -Reply

Since I'm feeling *particularly* dense today, would someone from
radon community please explain to me how radon has been
singled out as the only causative agent for lung cancer deaths in U
miners when:

1.  At the time of the studies (beginning circa 1875 to 1960's), U
miners did not (and still don't for the most part) wear respirators.

2.  If they did not wear respirators, the were then exposed to U dust,
other types of ore dust, exhaust fumes with known carcinogens and
other sundry harmful agents.

I asked this of folks in the US Mine Safety and Health
Administration following their recent Federal Register release on
radon exposure records and got no response whatsoever to my
query.  Hmmmm....

Thanks for getting me spun up, Andy!  ;-)
v/r
Michael
Michael S. Ford, CHP
Texas Radiation Advisory Board