Medical waste held for decay

Dear RadSafe,

My apologies if this question has been asked recently but my interest in
this question has only come about in the last few days.

When a medical or research facility holds short-lived nuclides for 10
half-lives to decay, how much can still be left and still consider the
material "gone."  I would think that it should be completely gone to be
gone but isn't this impracticle?  Is this nuclide specific?

I'd appreciate answers from different facilities if they differ.  If this
question has been asked on RadSafe already maybe you can just tell me
the subject line and I can look through the archives that way.

Thanks

Joelle Key
TN-DRH
jkey@mail.state.tn.us