RE: Medical waste held for decay -Clarification

Joelle

The first question:  For NRC Licensee's of broadscope, it is in the
License "..appropriate instrument...most sensitive scale...no
shielding...low-background area...cannot be distinguished from
background."

The second question: LSC may be an appropriate instrument (for liquid
samples), LSC can vary in background due to the fluor used, window
settings, age (refrigerated or ambient). Nevertheless, you can
statistically determine that your decayed sample is not more than 2
sigma of the average background for the LSC's isotope specific window.

The value of the final survey is demonstrated when your survey reveals
that there is "other stuff" that was not accounted for in the waste, the
original estimate of starting activity is 5 times too-low, etc., etc.

Mike Drzyzga
RSO
Hoffmann-La Roche