RE: Lantern mantles

OK, no one has referred back to the ANSI standard yet, so I'll step in. The
standard says calibration should be performed with national or derived
standards, but it doesn't specify this for the performance check sources.
They should just provide radiation of the same type as the calibration
sources, unless (1) the source instrument geometry is well understood or
reproduced, or (2) the instrument response to this radiation is well
understood and is not critically dependent on instrument adjustment. Using a
gamma source to check beta detection instruments is all right, but obviously
not for instruments that detect neutrons. ANSI is not in the regulations,
but we have adopted it in our license.

We use the 1 microcurie Cs-137 button sources. People did not want them
attached to the instruments, but we have found that it is very hard to keep
track of all those button sources and make sure people use them. Attaching
the source would remind the users to use them periodically and make it
easier to find the sources when we calibrate annually. (You have to write
the check source reading on the instrument) What's a mother to do? Education
is the key, even if you use bits of lantern mantle attached with duct tape.

Hope this helps.

Jim Herrold, Radiation Safety Officer
herrold@uwyo.edu

University of Wyoming