RE: Cs-137 and Pu-239+240

Paul,

Based on the limited information in your posting, I would be wary about
using the Cs-137/Pu-239+240 ratio.  As you point out, the key issue is
the differing chemical characteristics of cesium and plutonium, which
are reflected in the k_d values for partioning.  The k_d values are of
course soil-dependent and the plutonium k_d has a relatively strong
dependence on the pH of the soil.  So the soil type is of  UTMOST
importance.  In addition, amount of rainfall since deposition has an
important role in changing the ratio.

If the intent of the ratio is to identify weapons detonation type
information, I would think the plutonium isotopic ratios would be of
much more use in identifying the source of the plutonium.

Best regards and good luck with this one.

Philip

Philip C. Fulmer, PhD, CHP
Carolina Power & Light Company
Harris Energy and Environmental Center