Smoke Detectors vs Electron Tubes

In the HPPOS-150 it only refers to smoke detectors.

I have a question concerning radar or other electron tubes that contain
small amounts of radionuclides which are shipped to the user as exempt from
licensing.

Can these units be disposed as ordinary trash?

At 10:17 AM 9/24/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Guidance on the disposal of smoke detectors is provided in NRC, HPPOS-150,
>which is copied, below.
>
>The opinions expressed are strictly mine.
>It's not about dose, it's about trust.
>
>Bill Lipton
>liptonw@dteenergy.com
>

> Disposal Requirements for Specific and Exempt Licensed
>Smoke Detectors
>

>HPPOS-150                                     PDR-9111220094
>
>Title:  Disposal Requirements for Specific and Exempt
>Licensed Smoke Detectors
>
>See the letter from J. W. N. Hickey to D. L. Tremblay
>(Simplex Time Recorder Company) dated October 5, 1981.
>Imported smoke detectors possessed under a specific license
>must be returned to the manufacturer.  A licensee who
>possesses detectors distributed as exempt items is exempt
>from regulatory requirements regarding the smoke detectors,
>and they may be disposed of as ordinary trash.
>
>Your letter to General Counsel dated September 8, 1981 has
>been referred to the Division of Fuel Cycle and Material
>Safety.  In our telephone conversion, you explained that
>your company possesses two types of smoke detectors:  those
>imported, possessed, and distributed in accordance with NRC
>License Nos. 20-17584-01 and 20-17584-02E, and those
>obtained from an American manufacturer as exempt units.
>
>We agreed that the imported detectors must be returned to
>the manufacturer in accordance with your licenses, and that
>your letter concerns the domestic units.  To the extent
>that you possess domestic smoke detectors distributed as
>exempt units, you are exempt from any regulatory
>requirements.  Therefore, you may dispose of these units as
>ordinary trash.
>
>Regulatory references:  10 CFR 30.20, 10 CFR 32.26
>
>Subject codes:  3.3, 9.0
>
>Applicability:  Byproduct material

Tad  Blanchard            /__ \ /___\   NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center
Parallax, Inc                  O         Code 205.9, Greenbelt, MD 20771
Sr Health Physics Tech        / \                    Phone: 301-286-9157
Assistant RSO                /___\                   Fax:   301-286-1618
                 mailto:Tad.M.Blanchard.1@GSFC.NASA.gov
    http://gsfc-aphrodite.gsfc.nasa.gov/205/205-2/Health/RADPROT.HTM