What is "Background"?

     Radsafers,
     I'd like to rehash the gross alpha issue from a few days ago (since
     I'm currently immersed in it and have been for several weeks now).
     I'm not sure why it was initiated this way, but when we compare our
     annual average perimeter and off-site radioactive airborne particulate
     concentrations to "background" to determine any statistical
     significance of the station data, we compare the averages to an
     average 2-year background concentration.  We currently use a
     one-tailed Student's t-test at the 95% confidence level.  Does the use
     of a 104-week background sound strange? What time period do other
     sites use to describe a long-term background average?  Thanks in
     advance.

     Elizabeth Algutifan
     Jacobs Engineering Group
     at the Weldon Spring Site