Re: fluoroscopy exposure

Sandy
The regulatory limit for the eye's lens is 15 rem/y, I don't know what you
mean by "another location considered as part of the whole body dose"; it's
explicitly its own locus. Presumably people have institutional ALARA
set-points that are lower. People in cardiology/interventional radiology
tend to wear leaded eyeglasses anyway, so most of the eye doses reported by
dosimetric vendors may well be overestimates.

At 11:39  10/01/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Bob Scott stated the following:
>
>> If these people wear two badges (under apron at waist and >
>outside apron at
>> neck) then EDE for external radiation equals reported waist dose
>> multiplied by 1.5 plus reported neck dose multiplied by 0.04.
>>  A doc would have to get 16 2/3 REM a year under the first case to reach 5
>> REM EDE, and over 25 REM collar dose (assuming 10% under apron, which is
>> more than observed, really) to attain about 5 rem EDE in the second case.
>
>Per the above, how does one circumvent the issue of maintaining
>the dose to the lens of the eye below regulatory limits? While there
>is an eye dose limit in 10CFR20, many states still maintain
>quarterly dose limits, none for the eye. In this case, the lens of the
>eye is another location considered as part of the whole body dose.
>While EDE is a dose weighting based on the deep or whole body
>dose, there is no EDE for either the eye or shallow dose (skin of
>the whole body). In my opinion, while an individual can lower their
>whole body dose to the point they meet regulatory limits, with this
>dose reduction, there is no reduction for the eye, and for the
>states, this would be 1.25 rem for the eye as well.
>
>Comments from anyone in the state govt. or users within the states
>who do allow EDE calculations?
>
>------------------
>Sandy Perle
>Technical Director
>ICN Dosimetry Division
>ICN Plaza
>3300 Hyland Avenue
>Costa Mesa, CA 92626
>Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
>Fax:    (714) 668-3149
>
>sandyfl@earthlink.net
>sperle@icnpharm.com
>
>ICN Dosimetry Website:
>http://www.dosimetry.com
>
>Personal Website:
>http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205
>
>"The object of opening the mind, as of opening
>the mouth, is to close it again on something solid"
>              - G. K. Chesterton -
>
>The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those
of the author, and NOT my employer

Chris Alston
alstonc@odrge.odr.georgetown.edu
I am not here a representative of my employer.