Re: Spikes and chest x-rays

Although I, too, have a problem with the chest x-ray yardstick, it's
not for the reasons given by Philip Hypes.  I believe the use of
effective dose (rather than entrance exposure) should satisfy
Phillip's objections.

I have two objections to using the effective dose from a chest x-ray
as a comparison for other radiation exposures (e.g., for informed
consent).  First, there is nothing standard about a chest x-ray.  The
effective dose from a chest x-ray will vary greatly between a
gymnast and a defensive tackle.  Second, it does not tell someone
what the risks are.  Is the equivalent of 5 chest x-rays safe?  50?
500? 5000?

The only argument for chest x-rays is that most people have had
one (or know someone that has) and they didn't die from the
procedure (e.g., familiarity and no harm).

Kent Lambert

lambert@auhs.edu