From: Tad Blanchard <Tad.M.Blanchard.1@gsfc.nasa.gov>
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: SHIPMENT OF RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL

Regarding Don's post about using the FedEx "normal shipping form" and
checking the second "YES" box (No Shipper Declaration Required):

I have found that FedEx usually follows the IATA Dangerous Goods
Regulations and the form does not have a place to put the "proper shipping
name" as required in paragraph 10.8.3.4 which mentions a "Nature and
Quantity of Goods" box.  I usually squeeze it in somewhere on the front of
the form.

The carrier has to know that they are handling dangerous goods (since
accidents and incidents have to be reported).  Entering the proper shipping
name on the air bill is the only way they can determine if they are
carrying dangerous goods.  Just checking the second "YES" box doesn't give
the carrier enough information to provide for the handling of the materials
if iot becomes broken or damaged while in transit.

If I'm wrong on this one, I hope Roy Parker responds with something.