Re: Self-Absorption Effects on Air Filters

On mo, 5.10.98 you wrote:

 Radsafers,
     Can anyone recommend some references that cover the issue of alpha
     self-absorption corrections for air monitoring results?  Thanks for
     your help.

     Elizabeth Algutifan, MS
     Elizabeth_Algutifan@wssrap-host.wssrap.com
     Weldon Spring Site Remedial Action Project
     St. Charles, Missouri

In 1993 we performed some investigations on this subject.

We compared the activity on glas-fibre-filters given by gas propotional
counter and from alpha spectroscopy. The activity (U-234/235/238, Th-232)on
the filters was in the range of 0.25 Bq to 30 Bq per filter. The results of
both measure types matches very good, so that we could say there is no self
absorption for this type of air-sampling.

Hope this helps.

Peter Hewing
Radiation Protection of
Siemens Karlstein