Re: PA Radon

Bill,

Your point is well taken.   The importance is evident in the SEER
report data for lung and bronchus cancers.  Utah has a large
population of non-smokers with probably medium to high levels
of radon.  It ranks as no. 51 with a lung/bronchus cancer rate of
33.2/100,000.  Number 50 is Hawaii, which probably has relatively low
concentrations of radon.  Utah's lung/bronchus cancer rate is 1.44
lower than Hawaii's.

I have some questions that have been bugging me for a while relating to
radon.  Maybe you can help with them.
(1)  Has anyone evaluated whether childhood / adult pulmonary
problems (e.g., asthma, pneumonia, frequent congestion associated
with recurrent colds and bronchitis) have been associated with lung cancer?
(2)  Has anyone compiled a complete or near complete list of potential
carcinogens to which the miner populations have been exposed?
(3)  I know it would be impossible to obtain reliable data, but many
of the people who smoke marijuana and other illegal drugs do not
smoke cigarettes.  Yes, and some don't inhale.  Have illegal drugs
been added to the list of possible risk/confounding factors?  The
exposure frequency would be much less than smoking, but the impact of
the drug would be much greater.
(4)  I've seen data that indicates that smoking causes 85% to 95% of
lung cancers.  But I've never seen the data with error bars.  Can you
supply the percentage of lung cancers with the associated +/- %.

I believe, you and I are seeking the same information - an accurate
description of reality.  The model that radon causes a small
percentage of lung cancers may be right or it may be wrong.   Many
times throughout history, established models have been proven wrong.
Epicycles and geocentricity endured in medieval astronomy for
hundreds of years.  Early radiologists thought radiation exposure at
high levels would not cause harm.

I believe the model of radon in the home is far more complex than just
radon and smoking.  Millions of woodcrafting hobbyists work amid clouds
of sawdust and organic vapors in their basement with no respiratory
protection.  I remember the office environment in the early '80s.
The air quality from other people smoking was horrible.

Perhaps many Radsafers have pondered the same questions or had the
same reservations.
Thank-you for your kind consideration.
Tom
Just some of my opinions.

Tom Mohaupt, MS, CHP
Wright State University
Radiation Safety Officer

Voice:  (937) 775-2169
Fax:  (937) 775-3301
E-mail:  tmohaupt@wright.edu
Address:  104 Health Sciences Bldg, Wright State University
          Dayton, OH 45435