Sanitec for radioactives???

Hi all

Our hospital is seriously considering the Sanitec system of microwave
treatment for clinical waste disposal, rather than incineration
off-site. The Sanitec system sterilises, shreds and minimises the waste
into "confetti" which can then be landfilled.

We also produce a fair amount of low specific activity radioactive
clinical waste which is also incinerated, but at a premium price. If
this waste were not clinical is could be disposed of by landfill at a
fraction of the incineration costs.

Does anyone know of, or have experience of, treating radioactive waste
with the above system? If we could sterilise, shred, and landfill our
radioactive clinical waste it could save a fortune.

I've searched all over the Sanitec web-site, but found no mention of the
system used for low level radioactive waste. Any comments will be
gratefully received.

Cheers

Andy Hancock
Radiation Protection Adviser