Re: Re[2]: Open health physics position at NYSDEC

You have made an excellent point; one which ties in with our identity as a
profession.  Consider this scenario:  You're involved in an auto accident.
When you get to the emergency room you ask the physician where he attended
medical school.  He says that he never went to medical school, but he's
worked
around hospitals for while, tries hard, and is a born leader.  I don't know
about you, but I'd try to crawl out of there and find a "real" doctor.
Unfortunately, this does not seem to apply to the health physics profession.

Anyone who's turned on a survey instrument obviously is qualified as an RSO,
at least in the minds of the public and many employers.

This relates back to why I'm concerned about HPS passing out free geiger
counters.  If anyone can properly use these to make radiological
assessments,
then I guess I've wasted a lot of time.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton