Calling all laser experts -Reply for a colleague

Regarding laser pointers, the NJ Advisory Committee on Nonionizing
Radiation is having a meeting next week and this is one of the topics of
discussion.  I would like to do a press release on this, if permitted.  You
are right in that FDA only regulates the manufacture, not the use of these
things.  I have not been able to find out much on the biological effects.  If
the beam is viewed intraocularly for 10 seconds (with no blinking), it will
produce a retinal burn, which will heal.  What I haven't found out yet is if
there is permanent damage.  The red beam will penetrate all of the retinal
layers down to the photoreceptors.  If the beam hits someone's eye, the
normal response is to blink, thus cutting the exposure time, but the eye is
temporarily blinded and this of course, becomes critical if the victim is
driving.

Debbie Wenke
NJDEP
dwenke@dep.state.nj.us