Nuclear Expert

     Barbara Hamrick questioned the scientific background of Daniel
     Hirsch.  The following is my understanding and is clearly my own
     opinion and not that of my employer:  Mr. Hirsch is President of
     Committee to Bridge the Gap, an LA-based anti-nuclear
     organization.  CBG's recent claims-to-fame include their
     'sponsorship' of the "Rocketdyne Health Study" in which
     occupational worker exposure was purportedly linked to cancer
     causation (in a very twisted statistical logic but unfortunately
     with the credence of UCLA as the prime research tool).  CBG is
     also the primary opponent to the proposed Ward Valley low level
     radioactive waste disposal facility in California and has
     attempted to derail the project several times via the courts.
     CBG's past success (the only one that I know of) was the
     never-ending delays to relicensing proceedings for the UCLA
     research reactor (the reactor was eventually decommissioned).  By
     the way, Mr. Hirsch does not have a scientific or engineering
     degree and he was never an employee of UC Santa Cruz (rented
     space there).

     Clearly my opinion, Eric Goldin