Re: NY Times Editorial on Marie Curie

Dear Mr. Davis,

Thank you for the introduction of NY Times editorial on the centennial of
discovery of radioactivity by Curies and solicitation for the comments;
As a secretary general of the Japanese committee for Ra 100
I should comment following two points ;

> (1) About the uncertainty in the cause of Mme Curie's death,

  Mme Curie's internal dose due to radium has recently found to be much
less than the maximum accepted concentration to the public. In 1995, Mme
Curie's coffin was moved to Pantheon to be given France's highest honour.
At that time, French Office of Ionization Radiation Control (ORPI) had
measured radon concentration in her coffin. It was 360 Bq/m3 while the
maximum accepted public concentration is 7000 Bq/m3. See further details
in the article entitled "X-rays, not radium, may have killed Curie",
Nature, Vol. 377, 14 September 1995

> (2) an implication that "scientific exploration of radiation" resulted
>  in atomic bomb casualties

  This is the repeated issue. I believe that science itself is knowledge
about nature. It could be used for both peace and war. It is the
responsibility of the politics and society to properly use the scientific
knowledge. Thus, I think the editorial ignored this very important
distinction between science itself and decision made by society.

Now, should I write those points to the editor of the NY Times ?