Nd-144 -Reply

Ted,

I do not know about an exemption of Nd-144 from safety concern, it is an
alpha-emitting  fission product.  However, it has a low specific activity, about 1
pCi/gm, and is not volatile, having a boiling point of over 3000 degrees C.  Further
it is the daughter of Ce-144 which has an even higher boiling point.  I know of no
fission product release event in which Nd-144 was important.  Thus, Nd-144 has
been of little concern.  Of course, if you are involved in an activity that produces or
releases  a quantity of the nuclide, it would seem to warrant attention.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov