Re: Pacemakers

Reynolds, Harold wrote:

> I am not a medical type so I can't be 100% sure, but I believe some heart
> pacemakers are powered by plutonium.  Is this true?
>
> Harry
> 303.966.2708
> Harold.Reynolds@RFETS.gov
Harold,

Pu pacemakers were implanted during the 1970s & early 80s.  During the
time, the nonradioactive batteries did not have the lifetime that the
Pu238 power source did. As one respondent pointed out that current
battery lifetimes are 10-15 yrs, but these were not reliabl & available
at the time.

Our institution implanted several during the 1970s. The problems with
the Pu pacemakers were that: (1) the electrical leads would fail (none
of the power sources explanted ever had a problem - radioactive or
otherwise); (2) the license conditions [i.e. "cradle-to-grave"
requirement, followup reporting] especially if the patient was not
cooperative.

Ralph Lieto
Radiation Safety Officer
Henry Ford Hospital