Threshold for immune response

The following paragraph is from The Radioactivist, Issue 5, August, 1998:
"Each radioactive disintegration that hits a living creature causes the
development of at least one cellular lesion in the body.  The body then has
between 6-12 hours to repair the damage.  There are scientists who believe that
there is a threshold below which the body does not recognize the assault and
does not mobilize an immune response.  If the lesion is not repaired, the cell
can eventually divide and be carcinogenic.  Therefore the body can accumulate
large amounts of radiation over time without responding."
I was at a presentation by a local activist who was using information like this
to claim criminal acts by our utility and the death of many due to our reactor.
 Does anybody have clarifying information.  What scientists?  What studies?
etc.

Thanks
Claude Flory
Northeast Utilities