Australia Urged To Accept Nuke Dump

Interesting that we're "motivating" other countries to become a
dump for nuclear watse, when these same politicians refuse to
accept sound, technologically acceptable waste dumps in our own
back yard.

Tuesday December 8 9:20 AM ET

Australia Urged To Accept Nuke Dump

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) - The United States is urging Australia
to accept a proposal by an American company to establish a dump
for the world's nuclear waste.

The Seattle-based company Pangea has been quietly promoting
the concept for two years. It was forced to go public with its plans
last week when environmental groups uncovered a promotional
video extolling Australia's qualities as a dump site.

U.S. special envoy Robert Gallucci said today the proposal would
not only be profitable for Australia but would also be a service to
the international community.

``Australia could play a role in that, I think it would make a
tremendous contribution to international security,'' he told
Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio.

However, a spokeswoman for Australia's industry and resources
minister, Nick Minchin, said Australia had no plans to become an
international nuclear waste dump.

``Government policy is not to accept waste from other countries
and there is no intention to change that,'' she said, speaking on
customary condition of anonymity.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205