Re: X-rays or Strip Search? -Reply -Reply -Reply -Reply

Charles Willis wrote:

> Al,
>
> You jest.  I doubt that any government ever had the power to do what the ICRP
> recommends in advocating "justification."  Governments take many things into
> account in deciding to outlaw a practice, but to prohibit everything that has not
> been proven to have net benefit -- well, that would not be politically expedient.
>
> ALARA?  If you are looking for the "optimization" analysis recommended by
> ICRP-22 and several more recent documents, we do not do that either.  If you
> mean the British interpretation, viz. "do not pay too much for this muffler,"  there
> is a chance that it was done.  The American interpretation of "do essentially
> everything that does not quite break the bank," is done only under duress.

Oh well, I didn't really mean to get into this discussion, but, since
you brought it up---then what good are the ICRP Recommendations?  Or the
NCRP Recommendations?  On page 10 of NCRP 116 the three principles of
radiaition protection are reiterated: Justification, Opeimization
(ALARA), limits.  The DOE Radiation Control Manual has the same three
principles in it.  If no one is going to comply with those
recommendations, why even enunciate them?  See what a mess the LNTH has
gotten us into?  Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net