Re: Laser Pointer Article

>      There is an excellent article entitled "Putting Risks in Perspective -
>      Lessons Learned from Laser Pointers" in the December issue of
>      Industrial Safety and Hygiene News. It gives a real good comparison of
>      the true risks from them versus the public's perception of the risk.

This is a good article describing the risks (or lack thereof) for
permanent damage to eyes or other health effects, but how many
accidents are being caused by laser pointers?  Car accidents caused
by lasers flashing in peoples eyes?  Accidental police shootings due
to mistaking beams for laser sights?  Could a flash of the beam to
the eye cause an epileptic to have a seizure (a concern because my
wife is epileptic)? Is there any data on such things?  I doubt it as
of yet...  Still, it is depressing that such a potentially useful
gadget such as a laser pointer has become so annoying (even though
not dangerous) in the hands of irresponsible people.

Regards,

Greg

Greg Sackett
Health Physicist