Rocketdyne Clean-up

OAKLAND, Calif., Dec. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Secretary of Energy Bill
Richardson today announced a multi-year contract valued at $148.5 million
to the Boeing North American Company's Rocketdyne Propulsion and Power
segment to complete restoration and remediation obligations at Department
of Energy's (DOE) former Energy Technology Engineering Center (ETEC) in Los
Angeles, CA. The contract provides for the completion of DOE's clean-up
responsibilities at the site and return of the facility to Boeing by
September 30, 2006. The Boeing Company will contribute to the effort by
assuming post 2006 long-term operation and maintenance of the Groundwater
Remediation System after DOE leaves the site.

"One of my top priorities for the department includes safe, effective, and
expeditious environmental cleanup at DOE sites," said Secretary Richardson.
"The new contract will strictly focus on environment, and health and safety
of the workers and public. In making this announcement, I'd like to
personally commend Senator Dianne Feinstein for her leadership in pursuing
a cleanup strategy for this site which will help protect public health and
safety."

"This is a very important multi-year contract," said Senator Dianne
Feinstein, D-CA. "I am delighted to hear that the Department of Energy has
committed to fund $148 million for the cleanup of this site. I regret the
fact that the department is not able to fund the 1998 Community Health
Studies project but has requested that the Department of Health and Human
Services consider doing so. I believe that it is important that these
health studies be finished and I am joining the Department of Energy in
requesting HHS complete the job."

The Department of Energy negotiated the performance-based contract with
Boeing North American, Co. The department's award decision was based on a
number of unique and special circumstances possessed by Boeing such as site
access, infrastructure support, joint liability issues, contractual
obligation for return of the facility to Boeing, and decontamination and
decommissioning in connection with work historically performed at the site.
ETEC is located within the Boeing Santa Susana Field Laboratory research
complex in the Simi Hills, Los Angeles, CA. SOURCE U.S. Department of Energy

-0- 12/15/98

/CONTACT: Anne Elliott, HQ, 202-586-1607, or Carole Word, OAK,
510-637-1812, both of the U.S. Department of Energy/ CO: U.S.
Department of Energy; Boeing Company ST: California IN: OIL ARO SU: LEG CON
-0- Dec/15/1998 19:12 EOS (PRN)
		Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
              Institute of Toxicology & Environmental Health (ITEH)
		     (Street address: Old Davis Road)
		University of California, Davis, CA 95616
		Phone: 530-752-7754  FAX: 530-758-6140
		E-mail ograabe@ucdavis.edu