Re: Inappropriate: Re: Humor for some, not for the overly sensitive

>I feel that the discussion created by this topic relating humor to
>acts of war is not appropriate.  Should anyone like to discuss the
>toxicity or radioactivity of Uranium this would be relevant.
---------------
The original construction of the uranium toxicity/dose question –
relating to a DU exploding device was of course not humorous at all – in
particular because it was pointing at a certain kind of people - rather
than being stated in a general form. As I saw it, that original question
was a way (although an inappropriate one) of conservatively placing that
amount of DU close to somebody – in order to obtain upper dose limits.
This could of course have been described in a better way – as a response
to the claims of cancer caused by the DU devices.
It was an example of a calculational approach that through its
construction became so removed from reality and normal ethical
considerations that I of course intuitively filtered out the so called
”humor” and then went on to the dose thinking – but without clarifying
these aspects – a non-response would have been better.
I have no knowledge about the distribution of the hundreds on tons of DU
that can be found in some areas of Iraq but must say that in the
perspective of the general health tradegies (that go down to innocent
individuals rather than statistically analyzed populations) due to
malnutrition, diseases etc – caused in a number of ways by the war – I
agree with Robert and others that much of the discussion of the
radiation/chemical doses should be dropped. I was indeed interested in
the radiology etc. of having DU scattered around but I think the
construction of the "joke" destroyed the possibility of a serious
radiological response and back in this regard. With this addition, I
hope there will be no misunderstanding of my previous too brief
reference to ethical aspects and health problems.

bjorn_cedervall@hotmail.com
The ideas stated above are those of mine.