RE: Transmission data for I-131 through steel

Johnathon,

You might try taking a look at NCRP Report No. 49, "Structural Shielding Design
and Evaluation for Medical Use of X Rays and Gamma Rays of Energies up to 10
MeV."  In Figure 13, transmission curves are given for iron for some other
radionuclides and you might interpolate a bit, combining this in for with
commonly/commercially available thicknesses of iron to come up with an answer.
There are also some references at the bottom of the figure.  A better
alternative would be to use the software Microshield from Grove Engineering, if
you could lay your hands on it.  As I recall, they have parameters for several
radionuclides, including I-131, that enable shielding calculations.

Best of luck

/Roger W. Broseus