Re: HPPSSC Section Managers

To: Radsafers

The following request was sent by Jack Fix to presidents of HPS Sections
in trying to fill position that I and Peter hold as Section Managers of
the Health Physics Society's Standards Committee.  Since HP's are either
not reading the advertisement in the HPS newsletter, and many seem to
read the e-mails on this web site, let me pass along this request by
this media.  Our original SOP was set up, unlike some standards group,
to limit our terms with the idea that if you are doing your job (as a
volunteer) you get burned out after 6 years, and also we should make
room for "new blood," or the chance for others to have the position.  I
entirely agree with this, and ask that if anyone knows of potential
candidates, that they sent this information to Jack.  These position
will commence with the annual HPS meeting in Philadelphia next summer.

Joe

"We are requesting your assistance, as presidents of the respective
medical
health physics and environmental sections of the Health Physics Society,
identify candidates to assume management of the Health Physics Society
section
manager roles for developing ANSI/HPS technical standards in  medical
and
environmental health physics, respectively.  The existing managers (Joe
Stencel
and Peter Roberson) are completing the second of their respective three
year
terms and must be replaced under existing SOPs.

These positions are crucial to the development of the ANSI/HPS standards
that
are distributed in the HPS newsletter.  Ideally the candidates for these

positions are established professionals who are very aware of the
technical
issues within the discipline, the activities of other HPS members, good
managerial skills, and professional contacts within the discipline.  The

candidates should have a strong record of performance since they often
must act
independently.  Generally, we like to avoid using members who are
currently
chairs of working groups.

I am sure that Joe and Peter would be glad to assist in identifying
candidates
for these important positions.  Typically, candidates for these
positions will
approved by the HPS Board at the midyear meeting.  As such, there is
little time
to identify candidates.  I would very much appreciate any assistance you
can
provide.   If you can identify candidates, I am willing to contact the
candidates to determine their interest."

        Jack J. Fix, CHP
        Dosimetry Research and Technology
        Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
        P.O. Box 999, M/S K3-55