AW: ...no subject...

	[Navert Stephan]  Generally spoken yes, but it can't be
neglected. And for a surface area of about 300 cm^2 at the given
doserate I would expect at least some 10E5 of photons / s  (just a rough
guess!!) of a quasi unknown energy distribution. And assuming an
efficiency of 0.01 for the gammas in the massive plastic I still end up
with a few 10E3 counts in my detector. And from this I have to separate
approx. 1200 counts according to the betas, also continuous and unknown
spectra. Very difficult!!

	An other possibility might be a very thin wire chamber (as it is
used in HEP-detectors) or a very thin plastic scintillator ( < 1 mm
thickness ). But up to my knowledge all these items are only used in
research (for discrimination purpose), and are not commercialy available
or even calibrated to a standard!

> and it
>      wouldn't respond to the alphas.  Again, smears would be required
> for
>      quantifing removable contamination.
>
>      When performing the removable smears, liquid scintillation
> counting is
>      probably your best option for the betas.  You didn't say what
> types of
>      contamination you had on the casks.
	[Navert Stephan]   Contamination is mainly Cs-137, Co-60 and
other fission or activation products...

> I would assume there is H-3 in
>      which case you almost have to use LSC.  For the remander of the
>      isotopes a good gas flow proportional counter with a thin window
> would
>      give good results.
>
>      I hope this helps.
>
>      MAJ Tonry, US Army

>      + LOUIE TONRY, CHP
> +
>      + MAJOR, MS
> +
>      + Chief, Radiation Protection Division
> +
>      +
> +
>      + Eisenhower Army Medical Center
> +
>      + ATTN: MCHF-LOG-HP (Radiation Protection)
> +
>      + Box 264
> +
>      + Ft. Gordon, Georgia 30905-5650
> +
>      +
> +
>      + Voice:     DSN: 773-4692/6392      Civilian: (706)
> 787-4692/6392   +
>      + Facsimile: DSN: 773-3427           Civilian: (706) 787-3427
> +
>      + Internet:  MAJ_Louie_Tonry@DDEAMC.SMTPLINK.AMEDD.ARMY.MIL
> +

[Navert Stephan]  ---
Dr. Stephan Navert
Hauptabteilung fuer die Sicherheit der Kernanlagen
Sektion Radiologischer Arbeitsschutz
CH 5232 Villigen HSK

Tel:	+41 56 310 3858 	FAX: ++41 56 310 4905
e-mail:	navert@hsk.psi.ch