RE: Code of Brachytherapy Patients

I assume you are referring to manually afterloaded vaginal/uterine
applicators.  When we were still doing those, we trained nursing staff
how to quickly remove the source rods and transfer them to the lead pig
kept close to the bed.  We developed a training manual for this
procedure, which I would be happy to forward to you if you wish.  The
special training conisted of a 1-hour seminar featuring a close review
of the instructions in the manual and a hands-on practical
demonstration.  We had a skeleton pelvis into which we had
semi-permanently installed the applicators, so that we could demonstrate
insertion and removal of (dummy) source rods with the special forceps
for the job.  Each participant in the seminar was required to insert and
remove the source rods in our dummy "brachy patient"at least once, to
get a sense of the "feel" of the procedure.  All of these nurses had
also undergone our basic brachytherapy radiation safety training
program.  Nursing staff assigned to these patients were required to wear
TLDs and personal digital alarming dosimeters (PADs)  - the latter
provide an extremely valuable feedback tool which really helped the
staff keep their doses ALARA - we noticed a considerable drop in doses
recorded by TLDs after we instituted the PADs.

We are now doing high dose rate brachytherapy in our radiotherapy
department using a selectron unit, so have discontinued the LDR manual
afterloading program on the ward.

Let me know if you want more information.

Karin
Karin Gordon
Radiation Safety Office
Health Sciences Centre