Re: magnesium-zirconium-thorium alloys

======== Original Message ========
To whomever recognizes the query below,

I would also be interested in hearing from you about the items discussed
below, specifically, the parts on an aircraft which were radioactive.

Alan Watts
RSO
Ohio University

>I recently put out a query on the use of thorium alloys in the aircraft
>industry. I received many very useful replies and I thank all you Radsafers
>out their for your help.
>
>However, on 6/1/99 I received an interesting reply from someone who is a
>Health Physicist at an airforce base in the States (if my memory serves me
>correctly). It was a very informative reply which, amongst other things
>mentioned that they had a list of all the parts on an aircraft which were
>radio active.
>
>I intended to reply to this individual, however I have lost his/her e-mail
>(I don't know how  -  Sorry !). If the individual can recognise
>himself/herself by the above please contact me again so that I may bother
>you with my questions.
>
>Thanks
>
>Paul
>

>(phinrich@cns.co.za)

The US Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB near Dayton OH maintains a
database of radioactive materials on military aircraft.  Also, the aircraft
"boneyard" at Davis-Montham AFB NM also provides guidance on radioactive
items to AF Personnel in the form of the AMARC manual (I don't recall what
the acronym stands for).  In short, some military aircraft contain depleted
uranium (DU) counterweights on their wingtips and vertical stabilizer
(C-141, C-5. etc).  Also, where strength and heat resistance are important
(such at the "rooster tail" configuration of after-burner equipped aircraft)
magnesium-thorium is used.  Some jets contain Cs-137 in engine exciters.
Some of the earlier military aircraft also contained radium gauges and
toggle switches.  Sorry, but I no longer have a point of contact at either
the AF Museum or the boneyard--perhaps some of the active duty military
people on the listserver can provide contacts and phone numbers.

Mike McKinnon,PE,CHP
USAF retired