Air Sampling

Radsafers

We have air sampling systems with charcoal filters in series used to
determine the trapping efficiency of the systems.  Over the past year I have
run into 3 occasions where the counts in the second filter are almost equal
to those of the first.  We're only talking a few thousand counts so I have
ruled out saturation by the nuclide.  Nothing new was done procedurally and
as far as I can tell the temperature and humidity were the same as well.  Is
there a phenomena called tunneling that occurs in charcoal ?  If so can
someone explain or provide a reference?  If not can someone explain or
provide a reference?

Without an explanation or a reference
Tim K.

Timothy M. Knapp