Subject: Re: Re[2]: mantle
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at guardian
Date:    1/12/99 3:28 PM

Jim,

I suppose we are free to have our words mean whatever we want but for
convenience in communication, there is something to be said for using  words to
mean what other people think they mean.  Generally, radioactive materials are
deemed to be those materials that spontaneously emit ionizing radiation.  With
this definition, and other conventional use of the words, there is no question
but that essentially all real materials are radioactive.  Lantern mantles tend
to contain carbon which includes carbon 14 along with hydrogen containing
tritium.  Furthermore, mantles tend to be "contaminated" with radon and radon
daughters as well as fallout from the weapons tests, and other things.  (Mantels
are commonly made of wood or ceramic materials so they also are radioactive.)
Of course, some things are more radioactive than others.  I too select thoriated
lantern mantles for radiation demonstrations.

I do not like to nit-pick, but it is important in the public relations arena to
establish that , in dealing with radioactive materials and radiation exposure,
the question can never be yes or no but must be about how much is permissible or
acceptable.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov