Re: Counting Statistics

     Tim,

     Consider looking at a recently published (June 1998) NUREG:

     NUREG-1507, "Minimum Detectable Concentrations With Typical Radiation
     Survey Instruments for Various Contaminants and Field Conditions".

     Chapter 3 is a quick review of fundamental MDC consepts and compares
     several of the various MDC (or LLD, etc. - take your pick) expressions
     in circulation. This document doesn't address derivations or provide
     detailed exqamples. However if you want a "quick and dirty" snapshot
     of detection statistics - it's worth looking at. Besides, it's the
     NRC's latest "shot" at this issue.

     There was a training document entitled "Measurements and Statistics"
     written by Stephen LaVie of NUS Corporation that was in widespread
     circualtion in the power reactor community a number of years ago. It
     was a reasonably thorough, yet easy to understand general review of
     counting statistics. If somebody could scare this up for you - I think
     it would help.

     My opinion only,

     Chris Wend
     Sr. Rad Engineer