RE: Wyoming - Nuclear Storage Proponents Make Case

The biggest "hurdle" a spent fuel storage facility would have to clear in
Wyoming is the NIMBY syndrome, which resulted in a State law prohibiting any
such site until Yucca mountain is open (and accepting waste), another law
requiring prior approval from the State Legislature and a bill now being
considered that requires 5 million dollars just for filing an application.
If any applicant got over these hurdles, they would have to pole vault over
the Governor, who has taken an "over my dead body" stance on temporary
nuclear waste storage sites.

In the meantime, the oil and mining market are at an all-time low, the state
is losing money and population hand-over-fist and State employees haven't
had a cost of living raise in five years. I don't think Professor Shelby
Gerking is a "proponent" of nuclear waste storage. He's just an economist
who tells it like he sees it, without letting paranoia obstruct his vision.

This is obviously my opinion, and does not reflect the views of my employer
or the State of Wyoming (which are one in the same).

Jim Herrold
Radiation Safety Officer
University of Wyoming

herrold@uwyo.edu