RE: EPDs for personnel monitoring and surveys

Tom Goff asked if Sandy Perle and I are out there.  Of course, Sandy's there!!  Can you miss him?

And yes, Tom, I'm lurking out here.  I thought it was a great question about EPDs and radiographers.  Many people know my position on EPDs: that I do NOT support them for primary dosimetry, but that they are incredible tools for radiological safety and ALARA.  Mr. Dahlskog's comments probably related to the use of these instruments to assist with the rash of radiographer overexposures.  He is absolutely correct:  with the new EPD dose and DOSE RATE alarms, they should virtually eliminate accidental exposures (as long as they are worn).

I would add another thought:

There have been several cases where the dosimetry results were the only documented evidence that anything may have happened .  I can cite three:

	Exposure to a soil moisture probe where the film badge areas read:
			4400 mR    5500 mR   8900 mR   12100 mR

	A radiography exposure where the two TLD elements read 3.5 R and 10.7 R, with the deep element being the highest.

	A radiography exposure where the TLD dose was "between 240 R and 510 R",  I have to guess that this meant that the two elements read 240 R and 510 R.

I have my opinions on these exposures.  I always suggest that the badge readings be recreated first, before any other work begins.

Mike Lantz, CHP

..