Re: Personal CAM for alpha

Please consider:

1.  How's someone going to carry the detector and electronics, eg., a
photomultiplier tube!, on his lapel?

2.  Even if you could, how would you separate the TRU from the Rn daughters?

For example, assume that the airborne concentration of Pu-239 is 100 DAC = 3
E-10 uCi/ml.  Assume that the cam is operating at the reference man
breathing
rate of 20 liters/min.  Then, the cam would sample 9.6 E6 ml in an 8 hour
shift, and, assuming 100% filter collection efficiency, the total activity
sampled would be less than 3 nCi.  I doubt that this can be detected by
available instrumentation without letting the background decay.  Dust
buildup
on the filter would degrade both the detector efficiency and the alpha
spectrum, so I doubt that, even with spectroscopy, the TRU alphas could be
separated out in real time.

3.  Why do you feel the need to provide alpha cam's?  Your radiological
controls should be good enough to prevent sudden changes in airborne levels
during routine operations.  For those nonroutine operations, such as system
breaches, where there is a likelihood of a release, the workers should be
wearing adequate respiratory protection.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com