Re[2]: Health Benefits of Chocolate - Free Radical Scavengin

All -

I sent the original message to a colleague who in turn replied back -

To: Alan Watts <wattsa@oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
From: Arthur Trese <trese@ohiou.edu>
Subject: Re: Health Benefits of Chocolate - Free Radical Scavenging- OK!

Dear Alan,

    Are you buying up Nestle and Hershey stocks?  An interesting bit of
related trivia... Chocolate is said to be the only plant that contains
phenylethylamine, a neurotransmitter that is released in the brain when
humans spend time with someone they are "in love' with.... or more like,
have a crush on.  That "everything is right in the world" feeling comes, at
least in part, from this drug.  Why else do we send a box of chocolate candy
on Valentine's Day?  So perhaps it is not surprising that your colleague
feels better after a little chocolate.

    For plant pathologists, there is a special place for chocolate in that
the plant comes from S. America, but it is now grown in many areas of the
world's tropics.  There are several very nasty diseases of Theobroma cacao,
the tree which produces the delicacy, and one of the reasons that production
has moved to so many locations was efforts to escape these diseases, but the
pathogens always eventually catch up.  Plantations fail, once the diseases
arrive.  Nestle and Hershey have recently admitted that they are going to
abandon the idea of plantation chocolate.  They are getting out of the
business of growing it, so they are letting the world's small scale farmers
know that if they can grow chocolate in mixed agriculture, sustainable,
diverse systems, there will definitely be a market for it!  For consumers,
it means that prices are sure to go up, as the last of the plantation
systems are abandoned over the next ten years.  Perhaps hoarding chocolate
in those bomb shelters isn't such a crazy idea!

Cheers,

Art Trese

Just thought you might be interested!

Alan Watts