Pu Toxicity vs DDT

Adding to the ongoing discussion, it be should noted that the comparison is
of the ACUTE toxicities of Pu and DDT -- a deterministic effect with a
threshold.  On this basis, many substances are indeed more toxic than
plutonium.  However, when a comparison is made of toxicity on the basis of
nondeterministic (ie stochastic) lethal effects for which there is no
threshold (eg lung cancers for inhaled particles; bone sarcoma induction),
small intakes of plutonium are far more likely to induce such effects than
would DDT.  Thus on this basis Pu is far more toxic than DDT.  Dose, route
of entry, and end point all need to be considered in the overall evaluation
of toxicity; acute toxicity is a deterministic effect for which there is
indeed a threshold, but Pu gets its high toxicity from its potential for
stochastic long term effects.

On a philosophical note, as scientists and especially as health physicists,
playing such comparison games is a pointless exercise, and potentially
seriously misleading to the lay person.

Ron Kathren, CHP, DEE
Professor and Director
United States Transuranium and Uranium Registries
Washington State University
2710 University Drive
Richland, WA 99352
509-375-5643