RE: Sandy's EPD Comments

it seems some good points being an hp in the field.
I have  seen  some things you donot see in a lab.
the drop test from a steam genny platform...opps.and when I was at one
plant the labor force was usung there
ED to check dose rates .. then I had a labor belive he had to leave
because when alarmed he was thinking it was full!!! but the big one
was when some workers found when you took a radio walkey talky. and
put the ant. right at the ED and keyed the mike it would pit the ED
off scale.. they thought this was funny. more papper work!!!!

that always wants me to say  why me ....

---Mike Lantz <mlantz33@cybertrails.com> wrote:

> ------ =_NextPart_000_01BE4B22.2CB9D4E0
>
> I am shocked and saddened by the sudden passing of Charlie Willis.
He =
> was a wonderful Health Physicist who will be missed by all.  His
support =
> of this list alone was amazing considering all of the efforts he was =
> involved in.  In that light, I can attempt to honor him by
increasing my =
> support of the Health Physics Society and this list.  And that I
will =
> do. =20
>

> I will quit lurking on this list and start supporting it.   I will
begin =
> by listing a few of the ways that ED's have measured doses low and =
> therefore could create the scenario that Sandy Perle had presented.
He =
> certainly was not being an alarmist, simply an HP who has tested
ED's in =
> various situations.
>
> 1) Exposure to high energy photons from underneath, such as standing
on =
> a high integrity container of rad waste, TLD =3D 600 mrem, SRD =3D
575 =
> mrem and ED =3D 250 mrem because of significant angular dependence.  =
> This factor of more than 2 increases to a factor of 4 underresponse
if =
> the transmitter is added to the ED.=20
>
> 2) ED's have underresponded by a factor of 3 to noble gas submersion =
> (dominated by Xe-133) even though testing shows the ED responds =
> accurately to 80 kev photons at perpendicular incidence.  Again, a =
> serious angular dependence.
>
> 3) Low energy photons from the side, top or underneath have been =
> measured to respond a factor of 14 low (!) in laboratory testing by
the =
> vendor.  In my article a few years ago, I worried if these ED's were =
> being used by flouroscopists because of the likelihood of
significant =
> underresponse.=20
>
> 4)  The vast majority of ED's in use in the US will significantly =
> underrespond to any photons below approximately 60 keV at
perpendicular =
> incidence, and worsens dramatically as the angle moves from 0 degrees.
>
> 5) ED's will saturate and underrespond in VHRA's; and the
underresponse =
> will be relatively unknown.  We recently tested a brand new
dosimeter =
> type that responded well at 90 R/hr, but at 120 R/hr indicated NO =
> response, nothing!  Its secondary dead time correction in its =
> complicated dose rate to dose conversion algorithm, which is known
to NO =
> users, failed and the dosimeter stopped working until the dose rate
was =
> reduced to below 100 R/hr!  We also tested ED's to NVLAP Proficiency =
> Testing and 2 dosimeters read 54% and 65% lower than expected
because =
> they were irradiated to a high dose rate.
>
> 6) Drills, motors, and magnetic fields have placed ED's into a
latent =
> state where they are completely UNRESPONSIVE to radiation,
regardless of =
> the dose rate.
>
> 7) The energy response characteristics of individual pin diode
detectors =
> have been documented to be much more variable than I have ever seen
in =
> TLD or film testing.  Variable responses, certainly more notable as
the =
> energy of photons is decreased, have been found, possibly related to =
> dopants in the pin diode materials; errors up to 60%.
>
> 8) ED's have been found to change calibration factors by a factor of
2 =
> in the field; and then correct themselves.
>
> 9) The current crop of ED's are fairly new.  I find this the hardest =
> part to swallow that people think they just work; and will continue
to =
> work or be supported by the vendor for years, even as the vendors
move =
> to newer designs.  As they have aged, loss and repair rates have
been =
> significant.  Speakers for the alarms fail.  And so little has been =
> published.=20
>
> 10) Computer software and hardware that is not in a mature state yet =
> controls the tracking of all doses to be recorded by ED's.  Examples
of =
> data loss (ie, dose) include a recent situation where a terminal to =
> verify that the ED was turned on actually turned off random ED's.
Other =
> software problems continue to lose dose by ED's.
>
> This is part of the list of problems with EDs that I wrote about in =
> 1996.  One of our many duties must be to continue to set standards
for =
> personnel dosimetry that guarantee our facility personnel high
quality =
> dosimetry that works in all spectra, angles and environments that
they =
> will encounter.  The vendors have continued to improve their
products =
> and we should be proud that we were part of the push for that =
> improvement.
>
> Mike Lantz, CHP
>
> ------ =_NextPart_000_01BE4B22.2CB9D4E0

eJ8+IhAIAQaQCAAEAAAAAAABAAEAAQeQBgAIAAAA5AQAAAAAAADoAAEIgAcAGAAAAElQTS5NaWNy

b3NvZnQgTWFpbC5Ob3RlADEIAQ2ABAACAAAAAQABAAEEkAYASAEAAAEAAAAMAAAAAwAAMAIAAAAL

AA8OAAAAAAIB/w8BAAAAVwAAAAAAAACBKx+kvqMQGZ1uAN0BD1QCAAAAAHJhZHNhZmVAcm9tdWx1

cy5laHMudWl1Yy5lZHUAU01UUAByYWRzYWZlQHJvbXVsdXMuZWhzLnVpdWMuZWR1AAAeAAIwAQAA

AAUAAABTTVRQAAAAAB4AAzABAAAAHQAAAHJhZHNhZmVAcm9tdWx1cy5laHMudWl1Yy5lZHUAAAAA

AwAVDAEAAAADAP4PBgAAAB4AATABAAAAHwAAACdyYWRzYWZlQHJvbXVsdXMuZWhzLnVpdWMuZWR1

JwAAAgELMAEAAAAiAAAAU01UUDpSQURTQUZFQFJPTVVMVVMuRUhTLlVJVUMuRURVAAAAAwAAOQAA

AAALAEA6AQAAAAIB9g8BAAAABAAAAAAAAAKmQwEEgAEAGQAAAFJFOiBTYW5keSdzIEVQRCBDb21t

ZW50cwDpBwEFgAMADgAAAM8HAQAdAAAAOAAOAAUAPwEBIIADAA4AAADPBwEAHQAAADIAGgAFAEUB

AQmAAQAhAAAAMzY5RDczQTQ1QjRCQkUxMThENzg2QUMyMjQ4MzJFN0IAMwcBA5AGAIwMAAAUAAAA

CwAjAAAAAAADACYAAQAAAAsAKQAAAAAAAwAuAAAAAAADADYAAAAAAEAAOQAgi5Y5ZUu+AR4AcAAB

AAAAGQAAAFJFOiBTYW5keSdzIEVQRCBDb21tZW50cwAAAAACAXEAAQAAABYAAAABvktlOZbT8V7i

twsR0rtW7tbsmJ4xAAAeAB4MAQAAAAUAAABTTVRQAAAAAB4AHwwBAAAAGQAAAG1sYW50ejMzQGN5

YmVydHJhaWxzLmNvbQAAAAADAAYQy3gnSwMABxDFDAAAHgAIEAEAAABlAAAASUFNU0hPQ0tFREFO

RFNBRERFTkVEQllUSEVTVURERU5QQVNTSU5HT0ZDSEFSTElFV0lMTElTSEVXQVNBV09OREVSRlVM

SEVBTFRIUEhZU0lDSVNUV0hPV0lMTEJFTUlTU0VEQgAAAAACAQkQAQAAAPcKAADzCgAADRQAAExa

RnUjGja6/wAKAQ8CFQKkA+QF6wKDAFATA1QCAGNoCsBzZXRuMgYABsMCgzIDxQIAcNxycRIgBxMC

gzMDxhPoXjQRJxOTB20CgzUUn2aGNhMMBrBzdGVtAoAufQqACM8J2TsbXzI1HjUCgAqBDbELYG5n

MTwwMxSACwoS8gHQIElfCuEfOgqgA2AaMGMFQGGAbSBzaG9jawmARSGAbiIgc2FkDbBugSIRYnkg

dGhlIbA6dSKiIAqwBBALgGcgUG9mIEMRwWwIkCAGVwMQJOBzLiAgSH0jYHckACGAJdACIASBZh51

AyAlsAdAI0AgUGjZGhBpYwQABUB3IdAl0HclMSMAI2BtBAEi5AdAbOclggQAI3FwcBsBJGIjQH8p

wSVRIXEa8CLQJdQAwHr/JDIFoACBBIEkMilRKmQjYL8NwRsBBCAjUSXiC4B2BvBudiIRC4AlgUkD

oCNAYUMFQCTgZ2h0LB/xY28DkS/wGjEFMXQoECHQbv8FsSqwIaAjEQuABQAm8CQj/m0jICn7I2Am

6wZBIeAIkN50KTEiUSqnJYFBNcMv8fMgACgzZG8lgQtGF+Ig6ccKhTl8N0VxdWkwAQhw/mskMy+y

KsciUgGQKkEp9d8kMjtQJYE3NiiAZwuAIwLzKvIs4yBmB9EtZSXgGhDRL8RFRCcuMWEvECigvzKx

CHAiETewEfAq0W8H4P81tASQDcAFsCNgBaAmsCIgtzKSGjAjNGMJ8ArAaSgQby/TIC8hNAYRZCMg

Hx1Q/QSQbCNgRh8hNBHAIiA4D98hNBOQB5AJ8BowZCWERUD7ACALcWwjICXiMcAFQCiA9yzjMNEL

YHIosTBhAJAxMJ9NsEk/ITRH3gORSFBP//9RBSfyEcBBAQeQTLFBZD8h2nZFcnUp0TtQdS/wRZCd

AIAuCodLDzk5MSlBYH54KiBCQjFjMDEtwCLQcnpnIyBwIdAxcAYxA1IgrnUmYiLQL/BoT3F1EbD/

IYAp0QGQIlA7xSYgWhMLgP8aMAnAO1AjICxhTXIEkCRiHnJKsSXhGjAwcFRMRKAgPSA2MB/gbRtg

Em0wcFNSYFI1NzX/YMMiM0FwYGEdkGC0KHEwsK9V8CNgJHEAkGcDAGYnkLsAcDyyZyawCsENsHAJ

8NcisUVAJYFUKrJmANAxcP9fMwRgWbIRwAOgEiAydQeR9zFxQAFmZzRblExhKiAAgPcjYAaQIzN0

X4AAgCiwMQH/BcApwSKSNdFFoiNgQXAlgP05fDJZMUGHaWlrwikiZkleMzFiMcACYCNgZ1yydc5i

B4AR4FaBICg3sCiwh0VgVOIjEVhlLTEeoP1ZMGUvEC+yCGBaMVSyJDJ9IcF3QQJsUl9wbsQmAWPe

YwhwRLFNsTFxOB/gIgDudlrHL/FlUHJlUieQZOP3MnEsoWWkQXDwC4AwcCYgvxHwVcRkv2XAOXxz

EUxDEb9ab1txI0MsoTBwMXBwJGD/BcBbqEG0KIAjwUIXMXFutc1oezFpQEMCKCFZMD8h/wtgBuB2

IQWwIyF0FSMVc1H9N7ByL3QzIT0xJ5BJAUAEznkm8BHgIYBnbzByJkC/aaAIkC8xLXNjkUFzd0Oh

f05VY4Ei8x4wCGFCsAWgcP8nsQQgY0kjQiTgIgAk4CHQ7wRwY75pa2yeNFkwZfGFEfNf0SigYWoF

sF5yJHFVJvdjgj8hI0JVBfAoM2P5TbH7bmpoQ25auCiAQwMqEANg3ngHcHY0YJB24VZ3r3i4/3nR

IlFSvyE0h9FMgQQhHyz+ZF+AlmFkUSVAT+9Q9lSC/yNRHlFJAQRgLxBbNZwBXkHvCeBWv1fPCqM1

baWSpC/wD3YTIjOT2z8hVkhSQf1BkDtDNmldKDYbYAtgPdCrLxCTo2sxwHcvYlensu9FQZOSVLUm

IGJqwSIgItD/B+BCoQdxazI1gGVQL8RuuBeJMChRL/E5H+BSL2iycjBwYnUhcQVAMR/Rz62iLrGX

0XJDTk91RRHw7zBwTiEqsB5gIS+BLiER8P0sYWQKwCMgDbBKsT3QB4D/LFFpoSFgcaI/ITtQBCAF

oP9Psa81QqJfcUTCKBC0cyxh3y8QcYQHQIdwXmFoYQEn8P8nkF3xBCCoozFir6FjgRHg/zBwZlAD

ECIVI0KrGBogfwD/ZVBfoQWwO7NboD3QAyC5Zf+0pSXiG2FccGvUlZQegK2Ed7DhqSEHQHNFoVTJ

t+JW/ExBUq9Q/0h1A2BkQQiQ+zKAIyBUdBXATyE1IlESIB+g/yE0qxe8okqxNTQleSIzNjXIUEMB

q4JnUmV/WWAhUSLiY1UjQU3BiUJp/2mgIpAHMFTiaFNaE7R3e736NlkwRAUQJUC4gQRgZoH/uIEi

QgDAZBASACeQQBAIkP9EUEGlC1G9AlUlaFOn8UyR/z0CvFJDksqkCsBEAk+xq2EBTbFVTlJFU1BP

4E5TSVZFgTPLg1aB/zBwG2Bw8AsgSQAEES1lzK/9CoU3WTCP8n0VabcRsmZh3wZxP6E1ASRxrwJ2

LKBWUP8DIIrwA6BdIARxZSEhQprB/4AJw//G1nYAB4BMosG+vUP73g/BVW1ccmbzVaIBoEkB/2dD

IABBw3NBuiGAcj8hYDK7BbFkQGx+MXQUJYFW45b/aba4gU1Ixc8hNGbzTiHjw3+eZX0VJHFa1inB

BYFn42T/MHCAGAIQW6EwcFlxAJACYP/ZktISa+M3sAqwAjBVUyNC/9wolmIHIqXBaZHdIioAMWL1

YJAle704bart6DFiEbH/HmBEAQdA7uB2IXGiZlSLMf9vbGeSIzPQI6XXA6CylSMy3m0R8C8BoGcK

hTnY5HYB/xtgZIEFAH8CkSXTkrixJND/IyCq0S9y0BE1xiNCEcENsP8nwQqxMVMD4ClRQxEv0gtG

uxWxC/JjEQA370vXZX8Aa+PjC4BryqRqVfCak2v/pdQoM16yC4AKUDFiusJ/Iv8ogSn1IuiFNO4h

CtCHAzBw/3NDnmWFNJsQnzJwU6rgXyH3AAFkASVyQXTDlrBBw4dg/+1SGvDWsSJCG2CgsP4gtLPX

3Upj+SWBU2VQYSIAhzH/CZKek08CZjK7cDaFvtEk4O8xAEkBVHKAY3BxQCVRI1DvTNE5fB6AWTBD

s8GuELoS/YKAdCXgQ/HFYv/SFxMv0/8pwU4iPyGqUJZhWaLShIcAt/zRXsH9AGwBnwKgcwLf/8FV

anUh8CQ1LSJCpL1DqUL/5eBvFUFyJYFZUJxA1AHWw/exoOrADiQoNWAwcEKig0L9hmB13JGqUKlU

VhjS1apQ/2sxchK7gSgQtcFkMAjCL/H/dOUroqPBXxCM0TDRxTDb4X92Yic1LeBfcYVRn8AgRU//

Q4IWyMTh6uESYQaqDjG7xf8gFjl8ZgP/YQBTi9c8oewC/yrmp1A0gUFwQQU3QcTyUlCHg7CuET8h

MTk5Nimy/18Q/TKKgZBxlOG84D3Qn2H/4uA8oR9R9ZIGuYiw0mOxku91sQmSl3G+0G5fEB6judL/

hBKsEnqw2mFMoWOhM1GCEe+7cF5yNthaE3Hb4V5yN33/B2LwQx6CadDFIV+AmOKe8e8OZEVQ27D9

AG7fskEFyrT/p2Jlke5BazFl0wro0JMGpv9r40+h/QALoh2QDwHE4bzh//AxBhMH8XOh+SAfQsTh

IwD/O9W8YYlCLqoUcHSAEZUYUndCtN+ye71NjFF8wGRxel2HkENSkKCH/+FcjIAzV2CQGs1YPX2g

gABNwAADABAQAAAAAAMAERAAAAAAQAAHMCAzc2pkS74BQAAIMCAzc2pkS74BHgA9AAEAAAAFAAAA
> UkU6IAAAAAADAA00/TcAAPii
>
> ------ =_NextPart_000_01BE4B22.2CB9D4E0--

> information can be accessed at

==
mark sasser
at duke99301@yahoo.com
pager# 888-768-7451 640 east ice harbor dr pasco wa. 99301